Joni Hubred has made her living as a writer since 1986, when she joined the staff of the Kanabec County Times in Mora, Minnesota. Here’s a look at her most recent and relevant professional experience:
Publisher, Farmington Voice, Farmington MI
- Joni built, launched, and maintains farmingtonvoice.com as a community news website serving Farmington and Farmington Hills, Michigan. She is responsible for everything from website design and maintenance to news coverage and photography.
- Sample: Tre Sorelle Celebrates 10 Years in Downtown Farmington
Editor, LocalStew, West Bloomfield, MI
February 2014-August 2014
- When West Bloomfield-based entrepreneur Stuart Carlin sought to revive his localstew.com website, he contracted with Joni to help redesign and refocus the site as a hub for local events. She wrote daily content, managed social media accounts, assisted with UX design, established relationships with community leaders, and more. The contract position ended after six months.
- Sample: Unavailable, the site shut down in 2017.
Community Editor, Patch.com
September 2010-January 2014
- Joni jumped at the chance to launch the Patch.com website serving Farmington and Farmington Hills, Michigan. She believed in the company’s model of hiring home-based journalists operating in regional teams, with copy editors and managing editors, building a passionate audience of local news junkies to support local and national advertising. A dedicated editor, she consistently met goals for content production (7-9 daily posts) and social media posts, while quickly developing the online community. Her responsibilities also included community outreach, photography, and video production.
- Sample: Michigan 7th Grader’s Nonprofit ‘Blessed Birthdays’ Brings Smiles To Detroit Children (This Patch story was picked up by Huffington Post.)
Community Editor, Observer & Eccentric Newspapers
March 1999-July 2004
- As a reporter from 1999 to 2001, Joni wrote 8-10 news stories per week on topics that ranged from city government and crime to human interest features and business profiles. While Community Editor of the Farmington Observer, from 2001 until her resignation in 2004, she managed an editorial calendar, supervised and coached reporters, wrote editorials and personal columns, designed news pages and served as the “face” of the newspaper at community events.
- Sample: Today’s Lesson | Students’ day filled with fun, learning